Hablamos Español

Home » Accidentes de Construcción » Construction Accidents: Frequently Asked Questions

Construction Accidents: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Construction workers in New York City constantly face a variety of dangers and hazards which can result in serious injury. If you or a loved one has been injured on a construction site, you may be asking “What do I do next?” or “How can we pay our bills?”

Well, here are some answers to common questions about construction site accidents which occur in New York.

For more detailed answers regarding your case, please contact the experienced and highly skilled construction accident attorney at The Law Office of Abraham Jaros for a FREE and CONFIDENTIAL consultation: 646-569-9472.

Hablamos Espanol.

What Kind Of Compensation Can I Get After A New York Construction Injury?

Many people assume that workers’ compensation is the only type of compensation available after a job-related or worksite injury. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to much larger financial compensation than what is offered through NY State’s workers’ compensation program. This is known as a personal injury claim and money damages often far exceed what is paid through workers’ comp.

For example, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and the hardship and pain and suffering you have endured because of the injury. These costs are not fully covered by workers’ compensation. In many cases, full financial recovery after a construction accident is only possible through what is called a third-party negligence claim.

What Is A Third-Party Personal Injury Negligence Claim?

Many companies are responsible for ensuring that a construction site is safe. Property and building owners, contractors, sub-contractors, equipment manufacturers and other companies on the construction site can all be held responsible for your injuries. If someone’s negligence caused your injury while working on a construction site, many times a third-party negligence claim may be the only way of getting all the compensation you deserve.

For example, if you work as an electrician and suffered an injury because a delivery truck driver left a pile of pallets on the construction site, causing you to trip and fall and suffer an injury, then you may not sue your employer as that is covered by workers’ compensation, BUT you may have the legal right to bring a third-party negligence claim against the trucking company that the driver worked for as well as the general contractor and owner of the construction site.

What If I Am An Undocumented Construction Worker?

In New York, your right to financial compensation after a worksite injury is not dependent on your immigration status. Even if you are undocumented, you are entitled to receive a money award for your injuries. You have the right to bring a lawsuit against the party who is responsible for your injuries, regardless of your immigration status.

Get the Advice And Guidance You And Your Family Need

At the Law Office of Abraham Jaros, we can explain your options, protect your rights and help you get the full compensation you deserve.

Contact Us | Hablamos Español

Our firm is affiliated with Jaroslawicz & Jaros, one of New York City’s premier personal injury law firms – with over $1 Billion recovered for clients since 1980.

We want to help you get the compensation you deserve.

For a FREE and CONFIDENTIAL consultation, please call us at 646-569-9472 or complete our contact form.

We represent injured construction workers and their families throughout New York City, as well as the states of New York and New Jersey.